Stock Quote - HSM-T
Stock Quote - HSDT
Helius Medical Technologies, Inc., (“Helius”), is a neurotech company in the medical device industry, focused on neurological wellness.
Helius’ origin stems from the early 1990s, and the pioneering work in neuroplasticity at the Tactile Communication and Neurorehabilitation Laboratory, (“TCNL”), at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. This work led to the development of the investigational Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator (PoNSTM), delivering neurostimulation via the tongue which has been shown in clinical studies to improve the effectiveness of physical exercises in people with neurological symptoms from disease or trauma such as mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injury.
Sensing the enormous implications of addressing a massive unmet medical need, Helius was formed as a joint venture between the scientists (Yuri Danilov, Mitch Tyler, and Kurt Kaczmarek) and commercialization experts (Philippe Deschamps, Jonathan Sackier, and Montel Williams).
Our History at a Glance
- Early 1990s: The Tactile Communication and Neurorehabilitation Laboratory (TCNL) was founded at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Late 2000s: TCNL developed and built the Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator (PoNS™) device and principals formed Advanced NeuroRehabilitation, LLC (ANR).
- 2013: ANR and MPJ Healthcare formed NeuroHabilitation Corporation, which signed a Collaborative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the US Department of Defense.
- 2014: Helius Medical Technologies acquired NeuroHabilitation in a reverse merger and became a publicly traded company on the Canadian Securities Exchange.
- 2016: Helius Medical Technologies was listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX).
- 2017: Helius completed a multi-site, double-blind, randomized, sham-controlled registrational clinical trial investigating the safety and effectiveness of the Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator (PoNS™) in subjects with a chronic balance deficit due to mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injury (mmTBI)
- 2018: Helius Medical Technologies was listed on NASDAQ
- 2018: NeuroHabilitation Corporation was renamed Helius Medical, Inc, (“Helius Medical”)
The company became public in June 2014 and raised money to perform formal registrational clinical trials and other scientific activities to support regulatory clearance in the US, Canada, Europe and Australia. Helius achieved clearance for PoNS™ in Canada in Q4 2018.
Helius continues to pursue beyond-reproach scientific studies to support its technology and looks forward to responsibly driving access to PoNS Treatment™ to help improve the lives of people dealing with symptoms of neurological disease and trauma in the future.